Monday, December 19, 2011

Rules Nazi Episode X - Assaults Part II:Tanks, Main Guns, Covering Fire...oh my!

FoW Version 3. 
Before I begin this episode I'd like to talk about version 3 a tiny bit, and the Turret BS.  Its been pretty much confirmed that Version 3 is coming in the spring.  And Red Bear and Grey Wolf have been "streamlined" to fit these new rules.

The very first thing I noticed is that they have "FIXED" Limited Vision and Slow Traverse.
They now measure from the turret instead of the Hull.....HOORAY!

Tanks and Main Guns in Assaults

I think my friends in Saskatoon need a new Rules Nazi episode on Assaulting.  I went to assault with My Tigers during this last tournament and I was told I couldn't because I shot my Main gun.  I could not fathom where that rule came from.  And every single one of them "knew" this was the rule.  Shawn and I were a little dumb founded by this.  But we scowered the rules anyway.  I'm not always right.  Especially at a tournament, where I don't have the befit of researching something before I say something stupid.

So, we asked them.  Where is this rule?  What they were doing was looking at the Rules summary in the back of the book.  Where it says;

Assaulting Tanks
-can't fire main guns.

They took this to mean that if a tank team fires its main gun it can't assault.  Which of course is incorrect.  What it really means is that Tanks can't fire their main guns during Assaults.  And since during an assault its a skill check, the only time that happens is during defensive fire. 

Covering Fire - For Taran
This section is totally useless.  Everyone talks covering fire.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING.  Its a complete waste of an entire page of confusion.

All this means is that if you shoot full ROF, you can't assault....that's it.  There is no "ACTUAL" Covering Fire. 

I just said the same thing in one sentence.  Even if you don't move and you want to assault, either don't shoot or shoot at a reduced rate of fire as if you had moved.

So, my tigers could have assaulted, because they shot at a reduced rate of fire.

Defensive Fire
Yes tanks can't shoot their main guns in defensive fire....UNLESS they are a ROF 4 Anti-Aircaft Gun.

This does not include the AA MG.  Remember these are different, if you've read Episode VII.  Even though they are AA with a ROF of 3, they are still an MG.  ROF 4 anti-aircraft guns are NOT MG's they are Main guns....confusing I know.

Just a quick side note on AA MG's, I found it amazing how many people at this tournament didn't know you can't fire the AA MG and Main gun at the same time.  So many Shermans firing their AA 50 cals along with their main guns.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.  I don't have my books in front of me.  Lets see if I have this one correct from memory.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, a new Rules Posting. All is right with the world.

    For the record, we in Wisconsin forget at times the AA MG and main gun. I would give folks all sorts of slack on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tank main guns can fire defensive fire its just that they cant do it against infantry teams

    ReplyDelete
  3. But why even say that? Its a redundant rule.

    Tanks can't assault tanks, and guns can't assault at all...so what else would they shoot at?

    I don't have my book with me so I would have to check on this...but maybe if you have a mixed platoon, and you are assaulting with your infantry against tanks. then tanks could target the tank teams?

    Or maybe mounted assaults against transport teams.

    I'll have to look into that after Version 3 comes out. might see some changes to assaults.

    ReplyDelete