Here are some pictures with the flash so you can at least see some detail. You can definitely see the difference in green between models Where I had to use more of a matte varnish.
Monday, July 8, 2013
Wow, I just realized how awful these pictures are. Sorry about that. I'm not terribly happy with them anyway. I was super happy with them until I went to varnish them. Clearly i'm out of practice.
Any how, i'm continued with the black lining and a lot lighter highlight. This part turned out smoking good. I've decided to totally do away with washes. Even for infantry. I'm going to use black lining, highlights and shadows. Washes were just to inconsistent for me and never turned out dark enough in the creases but at the same time darkened to paint too much.
You may notice the PTRD anti-tank rifles. A few years ago, before version 3, I was thoroughly confused by the BR-64, the rule seemed weird with it being hull mounted. I think I even went as far as to ask Phil about it. So, apparently the used to take the turret off and just have a man sit there with the rifle. There is one picture of it out there. I came up with the idea of mounting a PTRD rifle guy in the BA-64. I just cut the rifleman in half and mounted him with out the turret.
I have a few take aways after this project. I can use less matt varnish because i'm not using a wash anymore, however I may have to end up not using a gloss varnish on my decals. So we'll see how that works.
I'm going back to my Soviet Strelkovy and redoing them with less black lining and more shadows and highlighting. I can't imagine how long that will take.
I will post better pictures tomorrow, so the lining shows up better.