I finished my Soviet Regimental Gun Company and my Anti-Tank Gun Company. I thought I would write this post comparing some of my old work to my new work. I believe in never doing anything unless you are always continually striving to get better. I've done a lot of trial and error of techniques over the last year, and I think things are getting a lot better, easier, and faster.
First, as embarrassing as it will be, I will show old pictures and compare then to similar units. This first picture was the first infantry I ever painted. The command team was a bit better because I discovered static grass instead of flock. I also found a different brown for the ground. You can clearly see in the back 2 I didn't even cover the figs bases. This was long before I discovered an airbrush. I was terrified to even try a wash, and I was having all kinds of trouble with aerosol primer and varnish. I actually stopped painting for a while because I was so fed up with shitty primer and varnish.
These are my Kommissar's. (* On a side note, I have no idea why we spell Commissar with a "C". From what I remember when I was trying to learn russian, it has no "C". A "K" is a "K" sound and an "S" is an "S" sound. So, I always spell it with a "K")
Anyway these are my 1st try, 2nd try, and 3rd try. And the then 3 together.
Big Difference. The last one is with an airbrush and wash.
These are 76mm anti-tank guns before and after I learned how to use an airbrush.
Same thing with Heavy Machine Gun.
As I said before I'm still not totally sold on the highlighting. It is a lot of extra work. You let me know what you think, of this batch of highlighting.
Edit* One thing I wanted to add, is that the down fall to all of this is that none of my army looks the same. Especially since I'm so slow at painting infantry. Hopefully i'll speed up and I can start painting separate armies.
Here are the rest of the pictures from this batch.