Sunday, December 26, 2010
These little guys took me a long time. But I guess December is usually a write off for anyone. I did happen to refine a couple of techniques and think it will greatly speed up my painting of infantry. I'm going to really try my best to stay away from tanks and get some infantry and gun teams done. I tried a couple of different things here. I used two different base coats, and two different washes.
First I used Tamiya Khaki XF-49. Tamiya paints are perfect for the airbrush. I mix 2 parts paint and 1 part Windex and you can spray for ever. In some painting guides it says you can use Khaki as an alternate for the Russian uniform. For these guys I tried a black wash. 60 parts Future, and 1 part GW black ink. This stuff is way to think to be called a wash. But even this was a bit thin as you can see in the pic's. I'll probably try 50:1 or 55:1 for the next batch.
The next time I'm going to try and paint the uniforms with the black wash, and the peat brown for hands and faces. we'll see how hard it is to separate.
One of the things that took so long on these guys was the highlighting. the old way I would do a heavy dry brush over black primer for the base coat, and then a highlight dry bush. But now with the airbrush, I decided to try painting the highlights. This took for ever. Plus I really wasn't sure what to highlight. If I skip this step or at least not do as much, I will be able to paint infantry way faster then I used to.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!